Sunday, September 20, 2015

The distraction of Football

The Hurricanes won, barely.
The Dolphins lost. barely.
I didn't watch much of either because of other commitments, but I was distracted by both. Sneak a peak on my phone. Catch a moment on the tv that should really be off.
There is so much real happening in the world, in my life, but I find myself distracted by media, by technology. Technology allows me to be distracted. It's supposed to make our lives better, and it can and does, but often it just allows us, or specifically me, an excuse to be distracted from the real world. How do I break this addiction, if it even is one. I'm using technology to complain about technology. Kind of ironic. I could be doing something else, rather than writing this. But I feel like there is something else going on. Something bigger. I'm just not sure what. Are we purposely distracted? Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Look over here. Shiny. Squirrel. Distraction. Where are the priorities? What is the compromise? What is missed? What is gained? How do we quantify any of it?  There isn't a box score to summarize the day, the week, the year. The distractions keep piling on without a referee to blow the whistle, to stop the clock and identify the guilty party.
Technology is the protagonist and the antagonist.
It is for you and against you.
It is football.
It is anything.
If you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment